Sketching and Painting in Watercolour
September 16 – October 1, 2017
Barry Coombs and Transat Travel
EARLY BIRD SPECIAL!!! Sign up by March 20 and receive a $100 discount.
Paint and sketch beautiful Portugal with us this September! I visited Portugal recently and enjoyed the country immensely. The scenery is lovely, the people are extremely friendly and English is widely spoken. While in Portugal, I scouted several locations and have put together an excellent itinerary. Castles, palaces, charming hilltop villages and the seaside! We’ll paint and sketch it all!
Our accomodations are excellent and the three towns that I’ve selected will give you a true taste of Portugal through an artist’s eye. Our carrier is Air Transat and we will travel direct from Toronto to Lisbon where we will transfer to Evora, a one-hour trip. Our trip from Evora to Tavira will take two and a half hours of driving time but we will stop in gorgeous hilltop Mertola for several hours of painting and sketching. Tavira to Cascais is only two and a half hours so sit back in our private coach and enjoy the countryside. I hope you’ll consider this wonderful creative holiday experience.
Our workshop focuses on watercolour painting, pen and ink sketching and pen drawing with wash. This workshop is for participants with some previous experience in their chosen medium. Participants working in other media are very welcome, as are non-painting partners and friends. Demonstrations, individual attention and constructive critiques are essential elements of this creative learning experience.
A reasonable level of physical fitness will be necessary. Walking and stairs will be unavoidable although art materials can be packed on an airline-style wheeled trolley.
WHAT WILL YOU LEARN? Barry has extensive teaching experience and is able to bring out the best in artists of different levels of skill and experience. He will introduce participants to new ideas and approaches to plein air painting and is very well-known for his insightful critiques. His solid grounding in the traditional fundamentals of drawing, watercolour technique, colour and composition benefits all participants. His own watercolours, featured in the April 2013 issue of the UK’s Leisure Painter magazine, are colourful and playful and loosely inspired by Cubism.
A graduate of the Ontario College of Art, Barry Coombs has led workshops in Ontario, Quebec and Maritime Canada for over twenty years as well as many international painting holidays in England, Italy, France, Greece, the USA and Mexico. Barry exhibits his work locally and internationally and represented Canada at the G20 World Artist Festival in Seoul, South Korea in 2010.
OUR EXCELLENT TRANSAT TRAVEL PACKAGE INCLUDES:
• Round trip Airfare from Toronto to Lisbon with Air Transat (economy class, upgrades available on limited basis)
• Private Airport Ground Transfers
• 5 nights in Evora in Five Star Hotel
• 5 nights in Tavira in Four Star Hotel
• 4 nights in Cascais in Four Star Hotel
• All Breakfasts
• 4 Full Day Painting/Sketching Excursions to Evoramonte, Redondo, Estoi and Cacela Velha
• Private Transfer from Evora to Tavira with Painting/Sketching Stop in Mertola
• Private Transfer from Tavira to Cascais
• Private Coach for Painting/Sketching Daytrips to Evoramonte, Redondo, Estoi and Cacela Velho
• Lunch in Posada Palacio de Estoi
• Lunch in Cacela Velho
• 2 Box Lunches
• Welcome Dinner
• Farewell Dinner
• Tuition/Workshop Fee
THE TRAVEL PACKAGE DOES NOT INCLUDE:
• Insurance (travel/cancellation insurance is strongly recommended)
• Meals and Beverages not listed above
• Gratuities and personal extras unless mentioned in the inclusions section
• Porterage not included
• City/Hotel Taxes (paid locally)
TRAVEL PACKAGE PRICE:
• Single Occupancy (painter): $CDN 5595.00 per person
• Double Occupancy (painter): $CDN 4889.00 per person
• Double Occupancy (non-painter): $CDN 4589.00 per person
***All prices are based on a minimum group size of 16 participants. If the minimum group size is not attained an additional supplement may apply. Participants will be advised at time of final payment.
HOW TO REGISTER:
1) Contact Barry Coombs at email@example.com to reserve your spot on a first-come, first-serve basis and to receive a registration number. Transat Travel will not enroll you without a registration number.
2) Call our Transat Travel agent after receiving your registration number and contact information.
3) Pay non-refundable $500 travel package deposit to Transat Travel, due immediately (
4) Pay travel package balance to Transat Travel; due June 12, 2017. The balance is non-refundable unless you have purchased cancellation insurance.